Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Week Five

Time has flown, and we're already in our last week in Peru. Last Friday, Will took the kids camping, so Allison, Natali, and I had a fun girls' night. Then on Saturday morning, the three of us joined five other missionary women in Curahuasi for their annual weekend getaway to Cusco. Once again, we had a blast shopping and eating good food. Most of all, it was wonderful to spend some extended time with such a wonderful, Christ-centered woman as Allison. The three of us even bonded to the point of buying ridiculous backpacker pants together! On Monday, Natali and I spent the day with the other interns gathering and loading/unloading large rocks for the foundation of the children's home that is under construction, and that was definitely a bonding experience as well. We spent yesterday working at the hospital, and in the evening, we got to hear an incredible testimony from Lyndal, the Australian woman who is heading up the children's home project. The Lord is doing an amazing work through the organization ALMA; there are so many orphaned and abused children in this community. This morning, I climbed the Mirador one last time. It was an unusual morning, cloudy and sprinkling, and when I reached the top, I was literally in a cloud. In that moment, it seemed as though the cloud surrounding the mountain was the tangible presence of God. Standing there in the mist, I felt like he was saying, "You may not always be able to see what is ahead of you, but as long as you abide in my presence, I will guide you in my perfect paths. When you trust me through the uncertainty, I go before you and behind you and all around you, protecting you with my love." I'm so thankful to serve a God whose power is made perfect in weakness!
A lovely Friday morning walk

Will explaining a CT scan

Crosses at the top of the cloudy Mirador

Crazy backpackers (Allison, Natali, and me)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I was wondering what organization you volunteered through? I am currently a sophomore attending Baylor University majoring in biochemistry but have felt my heart be called to service these last few months. Stumbled upon your blog while looking for service opportunities in Peru. Thank you so much!
    m.megan14@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! This internship was through the WorldWide Witness program at Abilene Christian University. The program offers summer internships in over 60 locations worldwide every summer. There are quite a few medical missions internships as well! If you're interested in hearing more about the program, I'd love to give you some more information! hkm12a@acu.edu
      In the meantime, I'll be praying for you to find just the right opportunity.

      Delete