Sunday, June 7, 2015

Leaving on a Jet Plane, Don't know when I'll be back again...

get_map.php.htmlWe leave for Peru today. We are leaving on a Jet Plane but actually know exactly when we plan on being back: in a month and a half.
For the next six weeks, we will be living in a little town in the Andes called, Curahuasi
where we will spend time serving and learning about the culture, ourselves, and many other things. About 750,000 people live within 3 hours of Curahuasi where the hospital, Diopsi Suyana, is located. The hospital has 55 beds, operating rooms, intensive care units, radiology and laboratory departments. There is also a small school where the kids of Curahuasi and those of the doctors who work at the hospital go (Diopsi Suyana).
Our hosts, the Caires, work at the hospital and the school. Will Caire is a doctor and Allison Caire is a teacher. They have four kids and we look forward to meeting them all. I am a recent psychology graduate and my teammate, Haley McNeese, is a junior Nursing major at ACU.
Ceci (my sister) and I were doing some research the other day, learning about Peru. Apparently, where the flag gets its colors is a bit controversial. UnknownSome say the colors were born from seeing the red and white flamingos, called Parihuanas, on the coast of Peru. Others say, the red represents blood shed in the fight for independence and the white represents bravery. Still others say the flag colors are a meshingof the red in the flag of Chile and the white in the flag of Argentina. Wikipedia says all these are possible truths, Ceci and I are sticking with the flamingo version until otherwise proven.
Well, apparently as a blogger, I'm supposed to know my audience and not let my blog posts get too long, so I think I'll stop here. I look forward to learning about Peru in the next few weeks and can't wait to let you in on my experience (as well as what the actual story to the Peruvian flag is).
Sources:
Hospital Diospi Suyana, Peru. (n.d.). Retrieved June 6, 2015, from http://www.samaritanspurse.org/medical/mission-hospitals-hospital-diospi-suyana-peru/
Flag of Peru. (n.d.). Retrieved June 6, 2015, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Peru
Curahuasi peru - Google Search. (n.d.). Retrieved June 6, 2015, from https://www.google.com/search?q=curahuasi peru

No comments:

Post a Comment